- Trying to explain doom metal to someone. It’s really heavy, but usually also very slow, compared to most types of metal. Mr. Doomburg put it eloquently: doom is metal largo. It’s heavy in the sense of how some classical music is heavy.
- No, it’s not boring.
- The tempo is slow, the melodies are melancholic, lyrics are depressing (mostly), but it’s not emo and it can be soothing, beautiful, and powerful.
- Good luck finding a band shirt! (Well, one that you can afford, shipping included.)
- You want to play someone one of your favourite songs, but it’s 15-20 minutes long with a 10 minute build-up. Exhibit A (well, in this case a 4 minute intro):
- Trying to explain the differences between the sub-subgenres, e.g. funeral doom, sludge doom, atmospheric doom, etc. Here’s a tongue-n-cheek guide:
- Finding other people who are also into doom.
- Getting carried away and wanting to play all the doom at once to someone.
…which brings me to… Some of my favourite doom metal songs/bands:
My Dying Bride, death/gothic doom. This was the band that got me into doom.
Candlemass, epic doom.
Swallow the Sun, death doom.
Shape of Despair, funeral doom.
Bell Witch, funeral/sludge doom with only vocals, drums, and bass.
While Heaven Wept, epic doom.
www.doom-metal.com a great place to discover new doom
“Depressive & the Doom” playlist on Youtube
My “DOOM” playlist on Youtube
“The Best of Doom Metal” playlist on Youtube